Thursday 23 October 2014

Words - choose wisely what you read.

Having recently done a couple of book reviews I have been very aware that the printed word has the potential to damage or uplift. Those first words of 'I liked the book' or 'I could not get on with this book' could lead the reader into either deciding to purchase the material or not. 

Sometimes the message is personal and only the reader can decide if the book is right for them, so a judgement for all is rather shaky. If we rely on reviews then we may never read the book that might change our lives. 

What if an atheist read the Bible? His/her review would be very different from a Christian reading it, or indeed someone seeking God. 

Books are personal preferences. Most of the books that I read are from personal recommendation rather than written reviews. That is probably because I am specific about what I read as I value what enters my personal space, and want only words that uplift and not damage. 

I have recently read a book that I am struggling with to review because it has elements in it, that as a Christian, I don't subscribe to. The damage of suggestion is very real and because it comes under the banner of Christian can lead the reader astray. 

I feel that when doing a review we must be true to ourselves and our values and relate that to the reader, so that they then can make up their own mind if the book will speak to them in the way that is helpful rather than harmful to them.

When we buy other merchandise for ourselves we try to be discernible. Therefore because words are powerful motivators or destructive demotivators they can sink into our subconscious, it is important to surround ourselves with messages that uplift the soul and help us to sing. As spiritual beings we need feeding, and it is important that we eat healthily. 

Music is a classic example it can uplift you when you are struggling and bring you to a better place if you listen to the right message. On the other hand it can also lead you to the depths of despair when it is moody and dark. So it is with reading and even more importantly with our lives. 

As a christian delving into things that are not Christ centered is a problem. Our lives are spiritual and we need to discern  our reading matter. I am not saying that we should not be eclectic, however we need to aware that the printed word seeps into areas of our mind and can influence us. 

I love reading and enjoy a range of styles and genres. I celebrate authors and their talents. There are some that I would not touch with a barge pole because their books are dark. But that is my personal preference. My rule of thumb is 'how do I feel once I have read a book?'. Am I encouraged, motivated, enthused, happy, hopeful, or did it make me feel, helpless, hopeless, on edge, dis at ease, or uncomfortable deep down. 

A review in a way, if it is honest, can help a prospective reader decide if that particular book is going to be helpful for them, like a healthy meal. Or if it is going to be something that might make them feel dis at ease. Of course this is a 'feeling' perspective and those that are 'thinking' people will probably decide what I have written is rubbish!  I can live with that.

Words - choose wisely what you read.

Margaret (author of How to make Victoria Sponge)




No comments:

Post a Comment